1. Prague is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe and The Czech Republic is one of the most beautiful countries I have visited. It’s old, it’s charming, it’s whimsical. I’m still humbled that I got to spend time living is such a beautiful place. If you want to be surrounded by history and enchanted by the Czech countryside choose Prague!!
Also the Czech Republic’s location in Central Europe makes it a great place to visit other European countries via bus, train, or plane for very inexpensive prices. I made it to Germany, Spain, Denmark, and Sweden.
2. Prague is a great place to earn a TEFL. If you are not a Licensed Teacher in the States you will need a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) Certification to teach at most schools. There are several available TEFL schools located in Prague and many of the programs are 4-5 weeks in duration and during that time you will need to support yourself. The Czech’s use of their own currency, the Czech Krona, makes living in Prague more affordable than other European cities that use the Euro.
*I recommend The Language House
3. Learn how resilient you are. Traveling alone is an experience I recommend to everyone. We should know how to enjoy our own company. We, especially young women, are often told all the reasons why we shouldn’t travel and pursue various goals without a travel companion but there are so many reasons why solo travel is advantageous. I enjoy traveling alone sometimes; I can do everything on my time. Checkout Adventurous Kate and this list of articles sharing the benefits of women traveling solo.
4. Learn how much you don’t know. Each time I push myself out of my comfort zone, I learn just how much more I don’t know. I learned how to live on my own in a country where I speak -10% of the language. I learned that English grammar is cruel and tedious. I learned that there is a large expat community that is available to help if you ever get stuck or just want to find where you can buy American junk food when you are homesick. You will learn that you aren’t alone in this journey; hundreds of others have made the journey and that it is 100% possible!!!
Above: living room in shared flat during TEFL program. Below: kitchen in shared flat.
5. Confidence & Accomplishment. At the end of my teaching stint in Prague, I was proud of myself. I took a huge risk deciding to teach in a country I had never visited and I don’t regret the decision one bit. I learn to travel and I teach to learn, the rewards are these priceless sentiments.
You will walk away with new skills, new friendships, and a new outlook on what is possible.
Just Do It!! Teach Abroad in Prague!!!